Robert J. Tait Families,
Welcome back to school. We are excited for the start of another year and for the opportunity to get to see everyone in our school community. Likely, many in our community have questions around what our return will look like. Please know the safety and well-being of all members of our school community remains our top priority. Many of the safety protocols used last school year remain in place this year. Our protocols were very successful and kept all members of our school safe. See the last part of this post for Health and Safety Protocols.
Practices In Place At Tait Elementary To Keep Everyone Safe and Healthy
Schools take their direction on Health and Safety (regarding Covid 19) from the Provincial Health Office and the Ministry of Education. Many of these items are the same as last year. This is not a comprehensive list, just the major highlights to be aware of:
- Masks are to be worn inside the school by all staff, visitors, other adults, and all students in grades 4 to 7
- Mask wearing by students in Kindergarten to Grade 3 is encouraged but not mandatory
- Masks are to be worn underneath a face shield – the shield does not take the place of a mask
- Masks are available at school for students who are in need of one
- Hand washing for all students and staff upon entering the school and throughout the school day
- All frequently touched surfaces will be cleaned once through the school day
- Ventilation systems have been adjusted to bring in additional fresh air from the outside
- Windows will be open to promote additional air flow
- Limits to the number of people occupying small spaces (eg. Washrooms) will remain in place
- Students will continue to go outside at recess and lunch, regardless of the weather
- All students will continue to enter the school through their classroom door
- Hallway doors will remain locked throughout the day in an effort to maintain our safe school environment and potentially limit exposure to others.
- Parents will not be able to enter the school. Parents can informally talk to teachers before and after school at the classroom door. For more formal meetings with your child’s teacher, we ask for parents to make an appointment
- Lunches / Water Bottles must be sent with children in the morning: there is no lunch dropoff during the school day
- Food in not to be shared and/or distributed, this includes snacks, lunches, birthday treats etc…
- Mandatory Daily Health Checks must be performed by parents prior to sending children to school (additional information to follow)
- If your child is exhibiting any signs of being sick, they must stay home. We ask that you have a plan in place in the event they are ill.
- Students will not share supplies at school. Each child will be given their own school supplies and any shared equipment (eg. iPads) will be cleaned after use.
If you have any questions about the Health and Safety Protocols at Tait Elementary, please contact the school at 604-668-6444.
Robert J. Tait Elementary